Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hidden Gem: Elder's on Cherokee


I realized last night that it has been awhile since my last Hidden Gem post.  I love antique shops.  I love antiques.  Over the years, I have picked up some interesting items.  I honestly should do a post some day with a few of our unique finds (like the vintage steel "R" and "P" that I recently picked up from a local antique mall for the boys' rooms for $5 each )...  it would be fun.  Regardless, knowing my affinity towards these items, several clients/friends/city newcomers have asked my advice for the best local resource for antique furniture over the years . 

As I have said before on numerous occasions on the blog, I love old things. While my house is NOT a dusty old antique store by any means,  I like a mix of old and new.  

I grew up in a household loaded with old mahogany furniture, neat artifacts, and family heirlooms. I grew up the daughter of parents who loved auctions and old things, as well.  I appreciate classic craftsmanship.  I am drawn to handsome quality wood.  I prefer traditional design and lines. I boast a classic style, with an eclectic twist.

We have a decent mix of antiques in our house. Some things that we inherited, others that we have accumulated over the years.  I am a firm believer in that items just come into your life, often times when you are not looking for them.  Particularly with antiques, it seems when you seek... you rarely find.  Regardless, in a city of wonderful treasures including an entire neighborhood dedicated to the goodies of yesteryear...  I DO have a local favorite for furniture.

At the corner of Missouri and Cherokee, in the center of the infamous Antique Row...


Sits Elder's...

The nitty-gritty...

It is 3 full floors of antique goodness...

While they do offer collectibles and the occasional architectural artifact...

Elder's is unique among other antique stores, particularly on the Row, as they have an emphasis on furniture and boast an ENORMOUS amount of square footage to maintain a sizable inventory...

In fact, their inventory is HUGE and constantly changing. 

Elder's has an incredible price point range and while items are not as affordable as you would find at an estate sale or on Craigslist, they are still priced reasonably to sell quickly...

Simply, I can't resist a pop into Elder's when downtown.

On this particular trip, I sought unique bedside tables. While I didn't find what I was looking for on this trip, I look forward to returning soon to give it another try...