Thursday, June 14, 2012

In the kitchen: Blueberry Lemon Muffins

I have been meaning to blog this for a couple of weeks!  Busy, busy my real estate schedule has been recently so I apologize. 

Anyhoo, if you hit the Farmers Markets in the summer regularly like I do... you will note that the berries are absolutely gorgeous this year!  As a matter of fact, I snapped the above photo from Thies Farm last week. 

As I recently got my hands on a bowl of beautiful handpicked blueberries from my neighbor's farm, I thought that it was the ideal time to try the Blueberry Muffin recipe that my girlfriend passed along.  A little something special for Reed and Parker's first morning of summer vacation.  The recipe was so delicious, I have to share.  This would be the perfect brunch item!


Blueberry Lemon Muffins

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 415 degrees.

Sugar Topping

1/3 cup (21/3 ounces) sugar
1½ teaspoons finely grated zest from 1 lemon

Stir together sugar and lemon zest in small bowl until combined; set aside.

Muffins

2 cups fresh blueberries
1 1/8 cups + 1 tsp sugar 
1 tablespoon water
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup *buttermilk
(*Note:  I never bother with buttermilk.  I use THIS easy substitute made with milk and white vinegar)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Prepare standard muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray or liners. Bring 1 cup blueberries, water, and 1 teaspoon sugar to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, mashing the berries and stirring frequently, until berries have broken down and mixture is thickened and reduced by half. This will take about 6 minutes. Transfer to small bowl and cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.

Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in large bowl. Whisk remaining sugar and eggs together in medium bowl until thick and well combined. Slowly mix in butter and oil until combined. Whisk in *buttermilk and vanilla. Using rubber spatula, fold egg mixture, blueberry mixture,  and remaining cup blueberries into flour mixture until just moistened. (Batter will be very lumpy with few spots of dry flour; do not over mix.)

Using a large spoon, divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle lemon sugar evenly over muffins.

Bake until muffin tops are golden and just firm, 17 to 19 minutes. Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 5 minutes before serving