Monday, August 24, 2009

Hidden Gem Alert: Whistle Stop Depot

My favorite part of being a Realtor, is the excuse to visit all regions of the city on a daily basis. Love it!

Love it, love it, love it.

I came to the conclusion long ago that I am not a desk person. Hence, in addition to my love of architecture... the constant exploration is what keeps my job new and exciting, even 8 years later.

Anyhoo, this afternoon's business consultation with an UMSL employee took me to a cute little establishment in Historic Downtown Ferguson called the Whistle Stop Depot.

How did I not know about this place sooner?!

This adorable little eatery/ice cream shop is located in the original Ferguson Train Station building, circa 1850's. Though no longer an active train station (operation was shut down in the early 1900's), it still sits immediately adjacent to an active Norfolk-Southern Freight Line track.

They have an extensive collection of railroad memorabilia in their depot museum, you order your food at the original ticket booth, and you get to enjoy the extremely reasonable cuisine while watching the freight trains rumble past. This place is a train fanatics dream!

The Whistle Stop is truly unique. You feel how special it is as soon as you pull up! By the size of the lunch crowd, it is apparent that is it an area favorite!

I cannot WAIT to take my kids there...