Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Peach Season: Peach Caipirinha Recipe

My favorite part of summer? The gorgeous produce! Our family loves peaches and it is that time again...Last week we hit our favorite local farm for a basket full of fresh peaches. Delish. As it is super hot outside, it was the perfect excuse to make one of my favorite refreshing summer cocktails. Thought I would share it on the blog!

If you are one of my friends/clients or if you follow my Twitter feed, you know that my husband travels quite a bit for work. As part of those travels, he goes to Brazil twice a year. A few years ago, he brought me home a bottle of the local staple and I have been hooked ever since.

Cachaca (pronounced Ca-SA-sha) is a distilled liquor popular in Brazil, made from fermented sugarcane. Tequila is to Mexico as Cachaca is to Brazil... it is everywhere. As the margarita is to Mexico, the Caipirinha (pronounced KYE-puh-REEN-ah) is to Brazil. It is the perfect marriage of sweet and sour with a blend of the smooth sweet cachaca and plenty of fresh limes.

I have been playing with cachaca for years and the Peach Caipirinha is one of my favorite concoctions.

Peel and slice 1/2 of a large peach. Add 4-5 fresh mint leaves, 2 ounces of cachaca, 1 tsp of simple syrup (or a teaspoon of sugar/stevia/splenda), and the fresh-squeezed juice of 1/2 of a lime and muddle like crazy (or food process)...
On a side note, I have a container of fresh mint on my deck and highly recommend it. It is super hearty, inexpensive, and a great addition to most summer dishes/cocktails...
After muddled, fill the glass with ice and top off with club soda. Give the drink a toss from glass to glass and top with fresh mint...

Voila!

NOTE: While you cannot find Sagatiba cachaca in St. Louis *tear*, Randall's in South City has 3-4 different brands.