Friday, April 12, 2013

Grow Your Own Wheatgrass- Easy, inexpensive, & foolproof!



It is that time again- weeding, prepping, planting!  Love it. 

I have had numerous visitors to my house over the years inquire about how I grow my wheatgrass.  As I just seeded this year's pot last week, I figured I would share!   DO NOT buy an overpriced kit.  This process is so easy.

Purchase 1/4 lb of Organic Hard Red Wheat Berries from the Whole Foods bulk section.  That is WAY more than enough, trust me...


Place enough seeds for a single layer in your chosen pot in a bowl and soak in water for 3 hours... 

Fill your growing container with organic soil (if plan is to juice/ingest it) and soak it!  You want SUPER moist soil.   NOTE:  a pot is NOT necessary!  You only need approximately 1 inch of soil.  I have seen people grow wheatgrass in everything from teacups (for a cute table centerpiece) to enormous troughs.  Anything goes! 

Next, spread the wheat berries in a thin single layer atop the soil and give them a good spray with a spray bottle of water...

Place container in a sunny area and continue to generously spray the wheat berries 5-8 times per day to keep them moist.  Within a couple of days you will have this...


Within 5 days you will have THIS...

Within 10 days, you will have a pot of mature grass perfect for smoothies, recipes, juicing, or garnishes!  Trim as needed and keep it moist.  That's it!