Tuesday, October 29, 2013

In The Kitchen: Bok Choy and Gyoza Soup Recipe

Autumn has officially arrived here in St. Louis.  The air is crisp, the days are short, and the schedule is PACKED!  My family often requests soup during this time of year.  I keep it on the menu a few days per week during Fall, as it is tasty, healthy, and EASY.

Years ago, I ran across a Trader Joe's recipe for Bok Choy and Gyoza Soup and it has been one of my go-to recipes ever since! 

Apology in advance: my explanation will be very unscientific, as I honestly don't measure with this one. I vary this recipe depending on what I have in the fridge/on hand. If you have carrots or celery-toss them in!   If you don't like mushrooms- omit them.  You cannot mess this soup up! 

My typical variation, however...



Start with a basic chicken broth over medium high heat:  6-8 cups.  Add a clove or 2 of garlic,  2 small/medium onions (slivered), a package of fresh mushrooms, and whatever spices of your choosing- I add fresh pepper and herbs from my herb garden (parsley and a touch of savory). 

Once to a soft boil and onions/mushrooms have begun to soften, toss in a full container of fresh baby bok choy- stems and all.  Once fully mixed in,  toss in a bag of Trader Joe's Pre-cooked Frozen Chicken Gyoza Dumplings.  These are relatively harmless with no preservatives or artificial flavors/colors.  There are 21 Gyoza in a bag.  3 dumplings has approx. 90 calories, 2 grams of fat and 5 grams of protein. 

Cook for approximately 3-4 minutes until the dumplings are thawed/ warm and serve... 


That is it.  It is easy,  delish, and even better the second day!