Tuesday, January 19, 2016

"The possible's slow fuse is lit by the imagination." ~E.Dickinson

When I was girl, we used to attend the same holiday party each December.  Our family friends lived in a large home in Town and Country on several acres.   On one evening each year, they opened their home to dozens of friends for tree-trimming and toasts to the season. Such wonderful childhood memories.

As a child, the thing that impressed me most about their home has stuck with me over the last 30+ years.  It wasn't actually the childrens' bedrooms that fascinated me as much as what their rooms were hiding. Both kids in the family had a secret playroom attached to their bedroom. It was so magical to me at the time, like a real life scene out of the C.S.Lewis classic "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe". 

Accessed via a small ladder and high above his bedroom, the son had a hidden ceiling loft space that was illuminated with strung lights where he practiced his guitar.   The daughter's secret space was accessed via a small hidden door at the back of her closet, which opened up to a lovely pink playroom filled with dolls, books, and toys.  How badly I too wanted a secret space to let my imagination run free!  

I think that childhood memory has much to do with the giddy feeling that I experience when I spot a special hidden space in a property, tucked away where you would least expect it...

Do you have an extra closet, attic, bedroom, or space under the eaves?  I took to Pinterest to inspire you to apply a little creativity to transform wasted space to one where your family's imagination can run free!