Thursday, March 9, 2017

Name those blooms- Identify The Most Common Midwest Spring Flowering Trees & Shrubs

While it seemed like it would never arrive, Spring has definitely sprung in St. Louis! Colorful blooms abound in the city, leaving me SO inspired to spend time in my yard during this time of the year.  Our city is in FULL BLOOM- just lovely!

Steve and I have one general rule when it comes to trees in our yard: we never cut one down without replacing it.  It not only maintains our curb appeal, but also our utility bills and privacy.  Unfortunately, as we live in a 47 year old house, we have had to do a lot of cutting of our property's original plantings over the last 14 years.  Currently, we have 2 trees that have reached the end of the road, including our gorgeous front yard redbud.  It saddens me, as the tree provides amazing color every April.  In addition, it has been the boys' favorite climbing tree over the years and acts as home to my songbird feeder... 

My babies back in 2010- so little. 🙁

The plan is, of course, to replace it with another Spring-flowering tree so I have been on the lookout!  As I venture the city for work, I pay extra close attention to the Spring blooms to make the decision easier.

In fact, Spring is the IDEAL time to identify trees in the Midwest, as most ornamental trees are in full show-stopping bloom!  Curious of the identity of the glorious blooms that you currently see around town?  This guide will help!


Wisteria

Bradford Pear Tree

Red Bud Tree

 Crabapple Tree

White Dogwood Tree

Pink Dogwood Tree 

 Weeping Cherry Tree

Forsythia

Lilac Bush 

Ornamental or Japanese Cherry Tree 

Snowball Bush aka Viburnum 

Pink Magnolia