Wednesday, September 23, 2009

In the kitchen: Jamie Oliver's "Funky Spaghetti" recipe

I saw a recipe for Jamie Oliver's Funky Spaghetti on Oprah.com the other day, and figured it would be the perfect use of the remainder of last week's Thies Farm finds. It totally intrigued me, as the sauce does not require cooking?! Love it!!

The official recipe worked as great inspiration. I modified it, however, to what I had on hand, and it worked out extremely well. That's the beauty of this recipe... you have the freedom to do that! The result: healthy, FRESH, and delish. Even the kids loved it.

I diced 4 large heirloom tomatoes, 4 different kinds and colors, and placed them into a bowl. I then added a splash of red wine vinegar, a splash of garlic infused olive oil, a few diced portabellas, and fresh ground sea salt and pepper to taste.
I then employed my youngest to tear in herbs/veggies from my deck garden including spinach leaves, 2 kinds of parsley, oregano, and basil...

Next, I had him mush everything up with his hands. Note: he LOVED this part =)...




The result: a wonderfully fragrant "sauce"...

I let the "sauce" sit in the fridge for 2-3 hours before I begin the process of preparing the pasta, to allow the flavors to release/blend. This is not a part of Jamie's recipe, but I have found it makes for a more balanced flavor.

When you are ready to eat, boil your noodles- I used a whole wheat linguine noodle.  I also add a dash of garlic infused olive oil to the water, as we are major garlic lovers in our house...
While the pasta is cooking, transfer your sauce into a large sauce pan and heat just enough to take the chill off.  NOTE:  You do NOT want to cook it- just heat it to luke warm. 

Once the pasta is done, transfer the noodles to the sauce DIRECTLY from the water! That's right... NO DRAINING. The heat from the hot pasta further releases the flavor from the veggies and the spices. Phenomenal.

Add fresh Parmesan cheese, fresh ground pepper, and voila...


It is a fabulous recipe for Meatless Monday.  It would also be wonderful with fresh shrimp tossed in!