Monday, October 12, 2009

Old town or new town? You decide...

One local development that has received a LOT of national attention is Whittaker Homes's New Town. Located just off Highway 370, New Town at St. Charles will eventually be a thriving "town" with more than 4,000 residences built in nine phases, with a carefully planned mix of homes in addition to a large town center and four neighborhood centers full of shops, restaurants, and amenities.

Much of the attention has to do with the controversy as to whether creating a contrived "town" in the middle of St. Charles farm land, where idyllic conformism is expected and enforced by strict neighborhood codes, is a little too "Stepford Wives".

I showed houses this weekend in New Town. As I had yet to visit, I was extremely curious. I must admit, upon entering the development, I swore to myself that I would NOT buy into the small town facade. That being said, after spending some time in the community... I was intrigued. While I didn’t buy the “Trust me, you are in an old southern town” thing *wink wink*… I did find that New Town delivers an interesting concept, an appealing aesthetic, and sense of community that most St. Charles developments do not offer.

A few pics from my day...