Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hidden Gem: PW Pizza in Lafayette Square

I stumbled upon a fantastic local find this week that I HAVE to share. I am about to date myself BIG TIME, though with my 20th high school reunion coming up, I have been scouting possible local locations for the main event. While out and about with the boys this week, I ran down to Lafayette Square to scope out the event rooms at Moulin, owned by the same family who owns 2 of my ALL TIME favorite local eateries: 1111 Mississippi and Vin de Set.

We stepped out of the car and BAM!

"What is that SMELL, Mama?? YUM!  It almost smells like SHAKESPEARE'S!!" both of my boys exclaimed upon stepping out of the car and being accosted by the smell of pizza.

Ok, may I just say that those are some BIG shoes to fill as any good upstanding Mizzou alum will attest. Shakespeare's is not just a pizza, it is an institution.  Though I concurred with what they were saying.  The air around the historic Centennial Malt House complex that houses Moulin and Vin de Set was FILLED with the most lovely scent of pizza - delicious homemade pizza. 

A quick turn of the head found this...

I have been to Vin de Set on numerous occasions, though evidently not since this new street level eatery was added to the complex.  As it was close to dinner time, we decided to pop in for a quick bite after scoping out the Moulin venue (which by the way, was my class's choice for our event). Man,  I'm glad that we did! 

Owned by Paul and Wendy Hamilton and recently voted by St. Louis Magazine as one of the Top New Restaurants in St. Louis for 2011, PW Pizza features delectable hand tossed pizza made with fresh seasonal ingredients.  There’s only one size (12 inches) of pizza and one thickness (medium-thin).

The environment is cozy and warm with exposed brick, an open kitchen, a friendly staff, and gorgeous original industrial architectural goodies...

The food is fresh, affordable, and delicious. 

We started with the house made roasted red pepper hummus with warm, fresh baked pita...

Our dinner choice - 1/2 "Big Balls" (tomato sauce, house made meatballs, caramelized onion, green pepper, fresh basil, provolone, pecorino, romano) and 1/2 "Magherita" (tomato sauce, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, pecorino, romano)- both with light cheese.
It was not only as good as it looks... it was BETTER.  I will dare to say that this is possibly the most delicious traditional crust that I have ever eaten in St. Louis.  This pie was most definitely the best pizza that I have eaten since leaving Italy.

In fact, it was so delicious that Parker called dibs on the leftovers for lunch the next day ;) ...
I cannot wait to return, plain and simple. PW Pizza is definitely a new Nenonen Family favorite.

Nitty Gritty:

PW Pizza
2017 Chouteau Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63103
314-241-7799

Sun-Thur: 11-9
Fri-Sat: 11-11

Web: http://pwpizza.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/PW-Pizza/221606534522061?sk=wall

See my past featured Hidden Gems HERE.