Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Garden tip: Outsmart the squirrels with a green solution!

Ahh, Spring is officially here in beautiful St. Louis. The ice cream man appears daily after school, winding in and out of our neighborhood...

Miss Poppy just returned from her annual Summer Shave down at the groomer...

We can barely coax the boys inside in the evening from the fun and horseplay of gorgeous, warm weather...

I even planted our annuals, in addition to the veggies/herbs, as we have passed the likelihood of a late frost at this point...

The yard has hit a new level of lovely this year due to our early warm Spring and lack of cold spells. 

Lush, bountiful, magical! 

That being said, Spring in Casa de Nenonen would not possibly be devoid of a post like this.    An early AM walk out to our front porch, coffee in hand, found this...
ACK!  So irritating.  The worst part?  The voice in my head waving a finger in my face while saying "Carrie, you knew better!"

I did.  sigh. I knew better!

I have been planting annuals for years and KNOW what I need to do to keep the pests away until the roots are established.  I know what to do and simply, didn't do it this year.  

As a result, yes...

...the squirrels enjoyed a feast of roots on my new front porch impatiens.

So, in replanting my poor brutalized flowers, I will share my fool-proof planting tip and vow to never skip it again. 

After you pot your annuals, clean your family hairbrushes and scatter human hair over the top of the soil and around the entire circumference of the plant before your final watering.  The human scent keeps squirrels and other varmints away from your vulnerable plants until the roots are well-established and the flowers have grown...

For demonstration sake, I realize that having a family of blondies is a little gross in the photo, though it does help to indicate the approximate amount of hair needed. While up close, your pots may look a tad strange for you  fellow blondes...

Within 2 weeks, however, the flowers will be sizable /lush enough that the hair will no longer be visible.  Trust me, this tip works for not only container planting, but bed planting as well.   

Human hair is a green solution and will keep your plants and family safe devoid of icky chemicals.