Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy New Year!


January 1, 2020. 

Each year on the blog, I typically pause and pay homage to the year past.  This morning, however, I am eyes-straight-forward despite how generous 2019 was to me and my family. We not only stand at the threshold of a new year, but a new decade. The prospect of that is monumental to me, for some reason.

Last night, Steve and I hung out in bed and reminisced. Where were we exactly 10 years ago? Entering 2010, my father was on hospice battling a terminal diagnosis, we were just exiting the Great Recession so my business was in an odd state of limbo, and my husband traveled 3/4 of the time as I raised our boys (then 10 and 7) unassisted much of the time. 

Needless to say, challenging times. I look at the photo to the right and want to give that girl a huge hug.  She entered 2010 knowing it would be a difficult one, but clueless to how truly life-altering it would be.  Admittedly, we were too preoccupied to pause and appreciate the clean slate of a new year, let alone acknowledge the significance of entering a new decade of life.  

It isn't a bad thing, it just is what it is.

Steve and I have discussed and planned for 2020 for some time now, as it will be a pinnacle year for our family. Our youngest turns 18 and enters Drake University in the Fall, our oldest turns 21 and enters his Senior year at Bradley University, my hubby of almost 23 years turns the big 5-0, and I celebrate 18 years in this business as my nest at home empties.

It is a lot.

Due to the significant household changes we have seen coming our way for some time, we have been proactively planning for 2020 in correlation with a lot of goal-setting and life-coaching.  The silver lining? We not only enter the new year strategically and intentionally with plans and expectations in place, but we also enter the new decade that way.  

The Nenonens greet 2020 with a calm yet eager energy. That is so refreshing and significant, particularly when I think back to where we were emotionally on New Years Day just 10 years ago.  There is no doubt that the true perks of aging are wisdom, a slower pace, and most significantly... the wisdom that you are more likely to hear opportunity knock when you are blessed with the slower pace. This year and decade, we are listening at the door, eagerly awaiting its arrival. So many possibilities, exciting stuff.  

I am thankful for so many things:  A thriving and healthy family, both physically and emotionally.  A life partner who is dedicated to evolving with me and also recognizes and covets the "choose-your-own-adventure" aspect of life that so many people ignore.  A career that I adore and continues to challenge me even 18 years later.   Last but not least... you. My wonderful friends and clients who place your trust in me by allowing me the opportunity to help you chase your happy via a new home base.Thank you.  Even after 18 years, every single time someone says "You are the one we trust to help us", it touches and humbles me.

2019 blessed me, and for that I am eternally thankful, but I welcome 2020 with enthusiasm.

No matter where you find yourself in the dawn of this new decade, in a cloudy state of life frenzy or a calm intentional place, a warm Happy New Year to you, friend.  May 2020 gift you with health, clarity, contentment, and the courage to explore all of the possibilities that you tinker within your brain.

Hello, 2020.  Happy New Years, all.