Wednesday, February 7, 2018

St. Louis Hidden Gem: Capitalist Pig BBQ

Steve and I went out for an innocent lunch and ended up in the slammer 👀... 
Please send bail money, or at least extra napkins! Ha Ha.  

I love and adore a repurposed space, and Capitalist Pig doesn't disappoint.  The 3rd District Police Station, across the street from the Anheuser Busch World HQ, opened up in 1937 and served the 16 surrounding neighborhoods until it was decommissioned in the 1990's.... 


This 19,000 sqft building was eventually purchased by retired Police Officer, Ron Buechele, and transformed in to a restaurant, art gallery, event space, and private residential space.

Enter Capitalist Pig BBQ, where the aesthetic is as cool as the locally-sourced cuisine is tasty.  ...
They haven't done much to alter the space, which honestly, is what I appreciated the most. Most of the building is as it was, including the abundance of marble known as "St. Genevieve Golden Vein". This ootlitic limestone was only produced from Saint Genevieve, Missouri quarries in the early 1900's and is known worldwide for its quality and beauty...

You place your order at (what once-was) the sergeant's desk, encased by marble...
Steve and I chose to dine in the short term holding cells. This is where prisoners were held while being processed...

I am not going to lie, having never been to jail myself (I swear), I found lunch in the minty green jail cell quite amusing...

And quite delicious...

If you have never ventured to Capitalist Pig, I highly recommend it!  From the Pork Belly BLT (I think the best BLT I have ever eaten) and the ribs to the huge corn muffins, homemade pickles, mac and cheese, and beans... it was a fun and phenomenal foodie adventure in a VERY cool architectural space.

From jail intake to discharge, it was pure awesome.  St.Louis- do yourself a HUGE favor and check them out!  ❤️

NITTY GRITTY:

The Capitalist Pig
#2727 South 12th (Across from visitor parking at Anheuser Busch)
St. Louis, MO 63118

Open: Wed-Sun, 11-3pm

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheCapitalistPig
Twitter:https://twitter.com/CapitalistPig


 See my other St. Louis Hidden Gems HERE.