Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Hidden Gem: Lone Elk Park and the World Bird Sanctuary

Anyone who knows me well (or follows me on Instagram) is aware that I spend the bulk of my free time outside with my family, soaking in the beauty and serenity of our local parks.  During the warmer 9 months of the year, I am typically in the isolated wooded and elevated river view trails of Castlewood State Park...


On the wildlife-filled trails of Queeny Park...


Exploring the original farm house, stables, and surrounding grounds at Longview Farm...


Getting lost in Babler State Park...

 Or biking Forest Park...


As far as public parks go, St. Louis is top-notch.  The city owns and maintains over 100 parks (like Tower Grove and Lafayette), the county owns and maintains over 40 parks (like Creve Coeur Lake), and there are 10 Missouri State Parks within the Greater St. Louis area.  There are incredible local resources for fellow outdoor-lovers.

I mention it, as this morning I drove through one of my area favorites- a total hidden gem- and was surprised to discover that I have never done a blog post on it.  The fact is, when the boys were little, I spent a LOT of time here as they were (and are) total animal lovers.  Though as they have grown up and life has gotten busy... I simply forgot how special it is until I did a random drive-through this morning while killing time before a showing with a client.

Lone Elk Park is over 540 acres, located at 141 and 44 just west of the town of Valley Park...


The park was originally part of the Tyson Valley Powder Plant during WWII, where ammunition was stored and tested.  There are still numerous towers, bunkers, and firing platforms scattered around the park.  HERE is more about the history and name of the park.  After the war, the area became a public park and herds of elk and bison were established.

There are a ton of incredible trail heads and excellent places to get lost in the woods at Lone Elk, though we typically just take advantage of the driving route for wildlife viewing due to no domestic animals allowed (sorry Willow) and frequent tick/chigger infestation with the animals.

The park is free of charge for entry and is an AMAZING place to get in close proximity to the animals in their wild habitat...
One of my favorite aspects of visiting Lone Elk, is you never really know what you will stumble upon.  As the animals freely wander the park, it is often a game of "Where's Waldo".  Sometimes, you spot nothing.  Other times, you get super lucky like I did today!

A peek at my morning elk encounters...

The bison area this morning...



Note, parents of young ones:  this is an INCREDIBLE cold-weather excursion where you can get the kids out in nature and in close-proximity to animals without paying a penny or even unstrapping them from the car seat.

Just adjacent to Lone Elk Park is the World Bird Sanctuary, one of North America's largest facilities for the conservation of birds with over 300 acres and 200 animals in their care...

We rarely visited one without the other with the boys.  The sanctuary educates, rehabilitates, conducts field studies and research, and does captive breeding of injured and threatened birds of prey.  Only here do you get the opportunity to get up close and personal with some of the rarest birds found in nature in an open air display...


So incredible, so cool.  While the World Bird Sanctuary is also 100% free to visitors, I always donate to the care of the animals whenever I visit.  They do amazing work.

A peek at the scenery this morning...



Learn more about the county parks HERE and the city parks HERE.

See my other area Hidden Gems HERE.